- You owe NO one an explanation or justification for no longer coming to church. If you want to, you can begin a new life right now without a sound.
- Give yourself time to mourn your old life and nurture your new one.
- Talk to others who have left and get a good support group. Don't hesitate to see a therapist. This is your life, your only one and precious life. How will you spend the rest of it?
Some benefits of leaving:
- security in God's unconditional, abiding love -- nothing I do can take it away
- integrity -- I no longer have to endure the conflict between my own feelings and what I was told I SHOULD be feeling
- increased humility, empathy and openness to humanity (I no longer feel like I am superior by virtue of my faith)
- no more disdain
- self-love and forgiveness
- freedom to question anyone and anything
- freedom of thought -- no longer having to measure everything against the preachers
- increasing ability to trust my own instincts
- joy of knowing and loving people of different ethnic origins and religions
- joy of service to others
- great literature, art and music
OK, I could go on, but enough about me, Exmembers, how did you leave, and what are the rewards?