"laestadian, apostolic, gay, lgbtq, ex-oalc, ex-llc, llc, oalc, bunner" LEARNING TO LIVE FREE: Faith or Fanaticism?

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Faith or Fanaticism?

As we near November 2nd, it is hard to think of anything but the election and what it will bring to our country and the world. This weekend I've been chasing the kids, puttering at my computer, sewing Halloween costumes and taking frequent detours to read the news. I just found this article, by Arianna Huffington, (click title) that expresses my own frustration with political and religious zealotry.

Excerpt:
", , , great thinkers throughout history have extolled the virtues of doubt. As Paul Tillich put it: "Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith." But not in the Bush White House, where doubters are treated as traitors, and inconvenient facts are the work of the Devil — because facts can lead to questioning, and questioning undermines faith. And that would be blasphemy in an Oval Office where unbending resolve has become a holy sacrament."

"What the president calls faith is actually nothing of the sort. It is fanaticism, pure and simple. The defining trait of the fanatic is an utter refusal to allow anything as piddling as evidence to get in the way of an unshakable belief."

Hmmm. Try re-reading above excerpt, substituting OALC for Bush. Does it work?

On Tuesday, my own faith-based initiative is to vote for Kerry. I trust someone who is willing to change his mind, and his actions, based on new knowledge.

You can disagree with me, cancel my vote, unbookmark my blog. it's a free country. So far.

6 comments:

  1. Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem is, he changes his mind every day, and he's got one of the worst records on life issues in the Senate. So, while he's pro-life for foaming bronze-age fanatics, the unborn presents a clear and present danger to the country. A vote for Kerry is a vote for America's Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can no longer vote for the lesser of two evils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.nrlc.org/empba04/recentwordsdontsquare.html

    For info on Kerry and pro-life...

    Free2beme, what's your stand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Censorship? Seriously? Hell--I HIGHLIGHT the dissenters on my blog.

    Remember what your natural reaction to dissent was the next time you buy into a conspiracy theory about how conservatives are turning America into a fascist police state.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fair 'nuff. But I'm hardly the fanatic you might imagine me to be. Yes, I used some forceful rhetoric, but hardly anything that merits the suppression of dialogue.

    Whatever. You're a Christian who supports the industry (whether explicitly or no) responsible for wiping out generations of people. I don't expect reason is all that effective with you.

    ReplyDelete